Treatment Services

The Counseling and Mental Health Center provide a variety of professional services, including short-term counseling, psychiatric consultation, and referrals. Counseling services are provided by licensed psychologists, licensed professional counselors, licensed social workers, and graduate level trainees under the supervision of a licensed staff therapist. Psychiatric services are provided by a board-certified consulting psychiatrist.

Individual, Couples, and Group Counseling

Short-term counseling for students seeking assistance with challenges of college and life. These counseling sessions typically last 45-50 minutes. Stress, academic pressures, relationships and family concerns, depression, test anxiety, disordered eating, grief, and self-esteem issues are some common reasons students request counseling.

Personal growth and various support groups are formed to meet needs of students on specific issues. The number and content of these groups vary each semester and more information can be obtained by calling our main office at 817-257-7863.

Crisis Intervention

In case of emergencies, a crisis counselor is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Center is located in the basement entrance of Samuelson Hall (by the TCU Post Office). If there is an emergency after hours, please call the Campus police at 817-257-7777 or dial 911. We also offer a 24/7 counseling line that offers telephone counseling to all TCU students at 817-257-7233.

Psychiatric Services

Psychiatric evaluations and consultations are available for students who are using our counseling services. Students seeking longer-term medication management and who are not in counseling will be referred to providers in the community.

Frequently Asked Questions about Psychiatric Services


The Counseling and Mental Health Center staff is available to consult with concerned family, friends, faculty or staff about a student in need. Due to laws protecting the privacy of our clients, the Center may not disclose whether a student is a client without a signed release of information.

In addition, the Center cannot mandate students to seek our services, or solicit individuals to seek counseling. However, a counselor can provide general advice on how to approach a student in need and give information about possible referrals. If you are interested in a consultation, please contact a counselor at 817-257-7863. If there is an emergency after hours, please call the Campus police at 817-257-7777 or dial 911.